My mother’s recipe for mashed potatoes is easily one of the most requested sides in our family. I admit, until friends started asking me how to make them, I took my knowledge for granted.
Mom always allowed my sister and myself to help her make dinner. As a mother myself, I understand how it is often easier to just make something yourself than to bother teaching children how to cook. When I was a young bride, I was most grateful for my basic knowledge of cooking and cooking utensils. Our mother really did us a huge favor!
Mashed potatoes were one of the first recipes I remember making when I was young. As a result, I make them more by texture than with a recipe, but I believe I can put it in recipe form to help others learn how to mash creamy and delicious potatoes.
My Mother’s Mashed Potatoes Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Ready In||Yields|
|25 min.||1 hour
||1 hours 35 min||Serving for 2 – 4
Ingredients for Mashed Potato Recipe
This recipe can be doubled for more servings
- 2 lbs (7 or 8 potatoes) Red Potatoes – Cut-up and Cooked
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper
Mashed Potatoes Preparation
- Peel and Cut-up Red Potatoes (1 – 1½ squares)
- Place the potatoes in a 6 qt. stockpot
- Fill the pot 3/4 full with water – that should more than cover the potatoes
- Cover with a vented or tilted lid and bring to a boil
- Turn down the stove to a Low Boil (my setting for low boil is 4 on my stove)
- Low Boil for 1 hr. – Don’t let the water boil out or too far down
- After cooking, Drain the water completely
- Add Butter & Milk
- Mix with a hand mixer until potatoes are creamy consistency (Because I use stainless steel cookware, I mix my mashed potatoes in my cooking pot
- Add salt and pepper while mixing
Note: Because potatoes vary in size, you may need a little more or less milk to obtain the desired consistency.